Nov 2020

i Monday January 25, 2021 by



November 15, 2020 


The Board Meeting opened with the Serenity Prayer at 5:02 pm.  Introductions were made and the Twelve Traditions were read by Daren G.


Board members present: Daren G., Pat B., Martha D., Joe H., Noah D., Sean M., John F., and Jim M.


Board members absent:  Jean D. 


Guests: Susan H.


Secretary's Report:  Martha noted that the October Board Meeting minutes had been distributed via email and no necessary corrections had been noted. Daren motioned to approve the October minutes.  Noah seconded the motion and the motion passed.


Treasurer's Report:  Jean was not present; therefore the September, October, and November financial documents were not available for review (Meeting Donation Summaries, Profit & Loss Statements, Balance Sheets and Wells Fargo banking statements).  Review and approval tabled until next month.  


Tabled again until next month: Review and approval of approval of FY 2020/2021 budget (October 2020 through September 2021). 


Daren mentioned that our Wells Fargo CD’s are up and will revert soon to lower interest unless they are renewed at a higher interest rate.  Past President Jerry H (and current Advisory Board member) is currently the only person with access to the CD accounts.  Board discussed asking Jerry to renew them for additional 12 months at higher interest rate.  Jim M will let Jerry know to go ahead.  Pat noted that the contributions being made from groups are very low; we may want to consider this as we consider whether to make money inaccessible via CD’s.  He suggested we look at how much we have in savings, and if it appears we have ample fluidity, move ahead with CD renewal.  


Joe also mentioned that if we have multiple CD’s, perhaps the smallest one could be left out of renewal for fluidity. Daren suggested that Jim and Jerry discuss and make prudent decisions. Joe asked if there should be a motion made. Martha suggested that yes, since this involves giving an Advisory Board (non-voting) member power to make a financial decision.  Joe made a motion that Jim and Jerry evaluate the CD situation and current available funds and make prudent decisions. John seconded the motion and the motion passed. 

Visitor Questions and Concerns:  none



Committee Reports: 


Literature & Medallions:  Noah checked the cabinet; needs to order medallions. 


Facilities Maintenance:  Pat mentioned there is ongoing mice activity, and also that he cleaned up the basement. 


Publications & Public Relations:  John mentioned that he has been remiss in getting a flier into cubbies re: meeting donations.  He also mentioned that he has started on a newsletter. 


Supplies:  Joe mentioned supplies are ample.  Pat mentioned we need light bulbs.  Joe will inventory and purchase. 


House Security:  The Board welcomed Sean; said that Noah did give him an overview of House Security responsibilities.  He’s aware he needs to be added as a locksmith signatory. Sean mentioned that a Member brought a fire ring. Daren suggested we discuss whether this is permissible with the Church.  Sean said he believes also there would need to be a fire permit from the City of Eagan.  John looked online to see Eagan fire permit restrictions. 



Old Business:


House liability insurance:  Daren will double check with Jerry.


Tree branch safety:  Daren will mention to Nadyne the branch. 


Locksmith authorized users update:  Past Board members Jerry and Lonnie are currently the only people authorized to have the locksmith make keys. Who is authorized needs to be updated with.  Daren will reach out to Jerry.


Venmo:  Martha suggested at this time we not change payment method. 


COVID-19: Daren mentioned Jim did great job looking at State of MN mandates and making a document of recommendations.  Martha will post at house. Daren suggested we purchase a box of masks to have on hand in case a member attending does not have one.  Joe will purchase.  


Regarding suggestion that members attending meetings have their temperature taken, Sean suggested we have the trusted servant of each meeting be the person using the thermometer so he/she is the only person touching it. Daren asked what we want to communicate to trusted servants; such as take temperature, ensure masks, 10 people only, etc.  Noah mentioned that the cheaper thermometers may be problematic; may be prudent to purchase one of higher quality.  Pat mentioned that although there’s coronavirus risk in people gathering, there is also risk to members’ mental health and sobriety if unable to meet.  


Daren reviewed that it’s incumbent upon us to have very clear verbage for members and trusted servants.  Then it’s up to the meetings to follow the guidelines.  John suggested we email updated guidelines to all trusted servants. Noah asked what if the thermometer doesn’t work or isn’t used. Daren reitereated that all we can do as the Board is to be clear in what our expectations are, and what the State requires, and then it’s up to them.  John will make a clear statement that can be posted and given to trusted servants.  Instead of Martha posting the statement Jim made, Martha will email John that statement, as well as the previous Trusted Servant Guidelines, and John will compile one new combined statement.  


Jim asked about folding up the tables and covering up the upholstered furniture. Discussion ensued and it was decided this might be too burdensome.  Daren suggested we move forward with current plan. 


New Business:


Sean mentioned he would like to ensure that the Board meetings are accessible to any interested members.  We could let them know they can attend at the House (since Martha and Sean will be meeting in person there, anyway).


Noah suggested that Daren, when he talks to the Church, ask if the air exchanger in the basement is working properly.  There’s been a musty smell.  Daren will ask the Church to check.


Jim mentioned that regarding lower meeting donations, he belongs to another entity that has an option on their website to donate.  He said he understands there is a fee per transaction, but it’s minimal.  Daren suggested we add it to next month’s agenda. Jim will research. 


Pat mentioned wanting to know where the donations for Chookies go to.


The meeting closed with the Lord's Prayer at 6:10 pm.


Respectfully submitted,

Martha D