October 2020

i Monday January 25, 2021 by



October 18, 2020 


The Board Meeting opened with the Serenity Prayer at 5:05 pm.  Introductions were made and the Twelve Traditions were read by Daren G.


Board members present: Jean D., Daren G., Pat B., Martha D., Joe H., Noah D., and Jim M.


Board members absent:  Gordy L., John F.


Guests: Susan H., and Laura B.


Secretary's Report:  Martha noted that the September Board Meeting minutes had been distributed via email and no necessary corrections had been noted.  Joe H motioned to approve the September minutes.  Jean D. seconded the motion and the motion passed.


Treasurer's Report:  Jean noted she does not have access to Quickbooks yet. Jerry (past President) still has access to Quickbooks.  Daren suggested we get Jerry to assist with passing it to Jean.  Jean will reach out to him.  


Table until next month: Review and approval of September Meeting Donation Summary, Profit & Loss Statement, Balance Sheet and Wells Fargo banking statements.


Tabled until next month: Review and approval of approval of FY 2020/2021 budget.  

Visitor Questions and Concerns:  Laura reported she will be chairing the Saturday 6pm meeting.  The group would like to know if wifi could be set up for the House. That way, people at home could attend meeting synchronously. Laura said, as trusted servant, she would bring her laptop to use.  Jean wondered about anonymity when meetings are cast over wifi connection; perhaps should have computer only focused on the trusted servant. Daren noted: 1) group would need to ensure that all attendees are aware that meeting is being broadcast. 2) trusted servant – or other group member - would need to have laptop.  3) cost would likely be minimal. 


Jim had questions – with the way the coronavirus is progressing, he concurs that wifi is a viable resource to use. He asked about the cost and how it would affect budget.  Jean suggested the Alano is comfortable financially.  Daren also mentioned we want to be communicating with the groups that groups donations are up and running. 

Noah questioned, regarding an open wifi line, is there a way we could monitor/prevent anyone downloading questionable activity.  Noah said his company has the ability to block adult content, etc. Martha suggested we ask internet vendor about this.  Pat mentioned that the Saturday 8pm meeting had less people this week; with people staying away, may be moot point; questioned if it would actually be used.  Pat asked about the size of the meetings – are there any other meetings as large as the Sat 6pm?  Martha spoke of the Wed 6pm meeting as the other group that had inquired about wifi.


Noah mentioned that the Sat 11am meeting still wants to have an outside meeting. They will be having both an inside and outside meeting, despite colder weather.

Daren noted that regarding COVID-19 public health precautions, we will continue to follow the State of Minnesota mandate. Suggested that we find out what wifi would cost, with the goal of giving people as many options for meeting attendance as possible.  


Jim asked what % of people have a phone or wifi at home where they can access a meeting, noting that many may not be able to access this resource. Daren noted that even non-smartphones can be used to call in to meetings. Joe asked for clarification on how many would actually use it relative to the cost/investment.


Daren suggested the cost relative to giving everyone various ways to attend the meeting is worth it.  Laura mentioned she does not speak for all the groups, but she does believe that if more meetings were available online, more people might attend.

Pat made a motion to look into and purchase wifi for the House.  Noah seconded the motion and the motion passed. Daren will look into.



Committee Reports: 


Literature & Medallions:  Daren noted that he did buy 10 hardcover Big Books and will drop them off at the Alano.  Noah expressed we may need additional medallions; he will inventory & purchase. He mentioned that the Saturday 11am group purchases their own, as do other meetings. Pat asked if we have more contribution envelopes. Jean will make more using template supplied by Martha.


Facilities Maintenance:  Pat confirmed heat is running on scheduled thermostat. Continuing to monitor mice.


Publications & Public Relations:  No report.


Supplies:  Joe reviewed that he purchased hand sanitizer and coffee.  He organized the closet so we can see what we have more easily.  Joe will take photo of receipt and text or email it to Jean; he will submit original receipt to her at later time. She will mail him reimbursement check.


House Security:  No report.



Old Business:



Jim asked for clarification of what occurred re: someone who came to a recent outside meeting and later tested positive for COVID-19.  Jean shared what she knew. He asked if there is a policy in place for what we do if we become aware that an attendee tested positive. Daren suggested we find out what our responsibility is if someone has been confirmed positive and agreed we should have a policy.  Joe asked if a cleaning protocol should be part of the policy. Jean reiterated that we do have a good policy in place regarding what groups must do in terms of cleaning and using sanitizer. Daren reviewed we just need to be clear on whether there are protocols we need to follow based on our responsibility as a non-profit organization (extra cleaning? notifications?)  Martha suggested that we could find out what the 2218 Alano, Minneapolis Intergroup, or national General Service Office does; no need to recreate the wheel, so to speak. Jim will look into it and we will discuss again at next month’s meeting.


House liability insurance:  Daren will reach out to Jerry to get information.


Tree branch safety:  Tabled until next month.


Locksmith authorized users change: Jerry and Lonnie are currently authorized. Who is authorized needs to be updated with locksmith.  Tabled until next month.


Venmo: Jean reported that printed deposit slips would take 2 weeks to get from Wells Fargo; $43 per deposit slip book.  Noah mentioned his group only deposits monthly.  Wonders if they can be printed by a non-bank vendor for less cost.  Daren asked how this question came up. Noah said it came up because a group member did not want to leave a personal check at the House.  Jean looked into Venmo.  She can add different accounts to the Venmo account she already uses.  Challenge could be how tracking would occur; what part of submitted donation is for books/literature.  Martha said we had talked last month about wanting a variety of options, but taking into account that many will continue to give cash, which should only be placed in the locked literature cabinet.

Daren reviewed that we could give deposit envelopes to specific meetings that feel most comfortable with that.  Daren reviewed that Venmo could be tried using Jean’s account to see how it works and whether we need to establish an Alano specific account.


Vacated board position:  Gordy has stepped down from his Board position and so his position will need to be filled via Board appointment. Daren reviewed we had two Board candidates at the Annual Membership Meeting, one of whom has expressed interest for two years in a row.  The Board will offer the open position of House Security to Sean M. Daren will contact.


Jim mentioned he is aware of an Al-Anon group that is looking for a new home. Martha will send Jim information on how a group can proceed with applying for a spot at the Alano. 


Jim also asked who answers the emails that come in with questions.

Daren will send the Board a link to the Alano website as well as common questions that come in.  Jim will forward to Martha the email he saw from a female with a question.


The meeting closed with the Lord's Prayer at 6:29 pm.


Respectfully submitted,

Martha D