Dec 2020

i Monday January 25, 2021 by



December 20, 2020 


The Board Meeting opened with the Serenity Prayer at 5:02pm.  Introductions were made and the Twelve Traditions were read by Daren G.


Board members present: Daren G., Pat B., Martha D., Joe H., Sean M., Jean D., and Jim M.


Board members absent:  Noah D., John F.


Guests: Susan H.


Secretary's Report:  Martha noted that the November Board Meeting minutes had been distributed via email and no necessary corrections had been noted.   Jean motioned to approve the November minutes.  Joe seconded the motion and the motion passed.


Treasurer's Report:  The September and October financial documents were reviewed (Meeting Donation Summaries, Profit & Loss Statements, Balance Sheets and Wells Fargo banking statements).  Daren motioned to approve those documents.  Martha seconded the motion and the motion passed.


The review of the November and December financial documents was tabled until next month.  Daren, Jim, and Jean will meet (hopefully with one of the past treasurers Sarah or Jerry) to button down how Quickbooks works.  


The Board reviewed the FY 2019/2020 budget and made line item adjustments to create a FY 2020/2021 budget (October 2020 through September 2021).  Susan shared the process the Gopher State Planning Committee is using, whereby the past FY budget was simply carried forward to serve as the current FY budget, with 3% COLA.  Due to the pandemic, there is less certainty upon which to make projections, but actual income and outgo will be tracked and budget can be modified, as needed.  Jean made a motion to approve the FY 2020/2021 budget.  Sean seconded the motion and the motion passed.  The projected expenses for FY 2020/2021 are $19,800.  Projected income = $11,100.  Projected loss = $8,700.  Although some expenses are lower now due to the pandemic (supplies, utilities, literature & medallions); other expenses have increased (Century Link for temporary wireless internet and rent will increase as of January 2021). 


Joe asked if we have house liability insurance which covers the Board.  Susan opined that she believes that’s what our liability insurance is for, and also suggested we have renter’s insurance.  Jean will call Old Republic Surety Company to determine what this bill is for (believed to be risk management insurance).  She will also call the waste management company to ask if billing is set for auto-debit.  


Jim advocated that we more intentionally solicit for donations from members.  He will continue the work started last month with determining how a ‘click to donate’ button can be added to the Dakota Alano website. He spoke to the webmaster, Hilary S., last month and will check with Quickbooks to find out the specific link needed.  Martha mentioned her plan to suggest that online meetings (which have Dakota Alano members attending) have individual group conscience meetings to discuss 7th tradition collection.  She also noted that the decrease in donation revenue is due in part to less overall people attending meetings (even when adding in those attending online).   Daren noted again that the Dakota Alano Society is strong financial shape and we may need to utilize some savings this year to meet expenses.  Board members agreed to alert meetings they attend to the budget shortfall and request increase in donations. 

Visitor Questions and Concerns:  none


Committee Reports: 


Literature & Medallions:  Noah had emailed literature & medallions update; no current needs noted. 


Facilities Maintenance: Pat reported that no house concerns at this time.


Publications & Public Relations:  No report.


Supplies: Joe reported supplies are in good shape.


House Security:  Sean reported no concerns.  He did convey to the member bringing the fire ring to meetings that the Church is prohibiting it. Daren reported he spoke to Jerry (past President).  To add Noah and Sean to authorized users list at locksmith, they will all need to go in person. Daren suggested waiting until spring. 



Old Business:


Tree branch safety:  Daren spoke to NaDyne at the Church who indicated their maintenance personnel had looked at branch and determined no safety issues at this time. 


Posting of new statement at house & donation reminders to trusted servants:  John was not at the meeting to report out on progress.   Daren will follow up with him. 


COVID Updates, masks/thermometer:  Joe reported he did purchase both masks and a thermometer.  Thermometer use by trusted servants will be reviewed in document John creates/posts. 


Air exchanger:  It was noted last month that a musty smell in the House could be from the air exchanger.  Daren spoke with NaDyne who said we don’t have an air exchanger. 



New Business:


Mail Collection:  Pat and Sean agreed to every week or two bring the mail in from the mailbox and put in the Treasurer’s mailbox for Jean.


The meeting closed with the Lord's Prayer at 6:34 pm.


Respectfully submitted,

Martha D