June 2015 Minutes

June 2015 Minutes

i Monday July 27, 2015 by Web Admin

DAKOTA ALANO SOCIETY BOARD MEETING MINUTES

June 21, 2015

 

The meeting opened with the Serenity Prayer at 6:03 p.m.  Introductions were made and the Twelve Traditions were read by Mary Jo.

 

Board members present: Lonnie L, Martha D, Lee G, Mike F, Mary Jo C, Dan W, Michon P, Rusty S

 

Board members absent:  None

 

Guests: None

 

Secretary's Report:  Martha reported that the only correction that will be made will be to remove a Board Member name that is no longer accurate. Mary Jo made a motion to approve the minutes.  Michon seconded the motion and the motion passed.

 

Treasurer's Report:  Mike reviewed the May 2015 Meeting Donation Summary, Profit & Loss Statement, and Balance Sheet.   Mike reminded that where there are indications that a meeting made no donations in May, it is suspected that the meetings' checks were not received until June.  Martha made a motion to accept the April financial statements.  Dan seconded the motion and the motion passed.

 

Visitor Questions and Concerns:  None

 

Squad Leader Reports: None

 

 

Committee Reports:

 

Literature & Medallions (Mary Jo):  Mary Jo reported she will be going to Minneapolis Intergroup this coming week and will get large print books and additional materials.  

 

Facilities Maintenance (Rusty):  Rusty reported that he and Michon had cleaned out the pop machine (where pop cans had frozen and burst) and reset the temperature control. 

 

Publications & Public Relations (Dan W): Dan reported that the DAS website continues to get visitors.  He will ensure that Summer Picnic information is on the website and will make fliers for the house. Dan will talk to Susan about including information in the newsletter.

 

Supplies (Michon): Supplies are up to date.  New taller kitchen waste can is in place.

 

House Security (Lee): Nothing to report.

 

Archives (Martha): Nothing to report.

 

 

Old Business:

 

Church update:  Lonnie reported he again spoke with the church, who had gotten estimates for the main level of the house; ranges between 9-12K.  Church is proposing a 50-50 cost split.  The church would hire the contractor and oversee the work.  The lower end estimate includes commercial tile in the bathroom, kitchen, and entryway, as well as carpet in the two ground level meeting rooms. 

 

The higher estimate would be tile throughout.  Dan questioned if tile throughout would, particularly in winter, be wet/slippery.  Dan asked if new flooring costs would result in increase in lease amount.  Lonnie reminded that current lease is 3 years.  Dan suggested that before we agree to flooring, we ask the church that the lease not have increase later.  Mike suggested that work include toilet replacement.  Lonnie will be meeting with church personnel next week.  Board agreed to the 50-50 cost split.  Mike said that current lease amount is probably low compared to value of house rental, parking lot access, etc., so lease increase down the road might be reasonable. 

 

Regarding handicap accessibility, church rec'd estimate of minimum of $10K.  Steps need to be redone. Mary Jo said railings need to be made sturdy. It could be that the flooring will be done first and handicap accessibility addressed later.  Mary Jo asked if the step height is up to code and said that the lack of railing is what makes the steps most challenging. Mike suggested leaving the wood railing in place and adding additional metal rail.  Lonnie will talk to church about their interest in rail/step repair, particularly in light of potential liability issues. 

 

Gopher State Roundup Review:  Lonnie will call Brad and ask him to report on finances and if he needs reimbursement or reconciliation.

 

Summer Picnic: Sunday July 12.  Lonnie told Michon to reach out for help.

 

 

New Business:

 

Board elections: Mike suggested that we begin to think of candidates and how to spread the word.  Dan will add Board information to website.

 

July Quarterly Squad Leaders' Meeting:  5:15. 

 

Motion to Close:

A motion to close the meeting was at 6:40 made by Mike.   Lee seconded the motion and the motion passed. The meeting closed with the Lord's Prayer at 6:42 pm

 

Respectfully submitted,

Martha D